Wednesday, May 15, 2013
The fire began on the third floor of the home; no one was injured.
The Westfield Fire Department with assistance from other local crews extinguished a two-alarm fire at 714 Hanford Place on Wednesday afternoon. According to Fire Chief Daniel Kelly, the fire began in a closet on the third floor of the single-family home and caused damage to the third and second floors. "When we arrived there was heavy smoke coming from the third floor," Kelly told Patch. Union County Mutual Aid and crews from Cranford, Roselle and Plainfield were also called to the scene. The fire was called in at 11:17 a.m. and was placed under control about 45 minutes later, according to Kelly. One Westfield firefighter sustained minor injuries and was taken to Overlook Hospital. Homeowner John Tabachnik told Patch he was at work when a …
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
Westfield Police say Westfield Fire Department is currently investigating.
Update: The Westfield Fire Department confirmed that the odor residents noticed in the area of Woodland Avenue and Golf Edge was a result of work done on Echo Lake Country Club's filtration system. Residents, concerned that the smell was a natural gas leak, contacted police around 9 p.m. Wednesday. Original: Residents of Woodland Avenue and Golf Edge have reported "the strong smell of sewage" overtaking the neighborhood as of 9 p.m. this evening. Westfield Police said the Westfield Fire Department is currently investigating and added that the odor "is not natural gas." Patch will update this story as new information becomes available.
Friday, January 4, 2013
Fire in apartment began before noon on Friday.
A fire that began in a first floor apartment at the Westfield Senior Housing Center at 1133 Boynton Ave. was extinguished shortly after noon on Friday. Westfield Fire Department Chief Dan Kelly said the fire was contained to one apartment and is still in under investigation. The Westfield Volunteer Rescue Squad was also on the scene. To the best of his knowledge, Kelly said, he did not believe there were any injuries but noted "it is still a fluid situation." "EMS is evaluating one of the residents right now," Kelly said. Patch will update this story as more information becomes available.
Sunday, November 4, 2012
No injuries have been reported at this time.
Shortly after 7:40 p.m. Sunday, an electrical fire began at the Hamilton House apartments on Mountain Avenue in Westfield. A resident of the complex said the fire began approximately five minutes after power had been restored to the buildings. Another resident said he heard loud pops and saw flashes that lit up the sky coming from behind the building. "The fire started in the exterior by the electrical service and extended into the interior of the building, causing damage to two apartments," said Westfield Fire Chief Daniel Kelly. "The department today has been receiving multiple calls as PSE&G reenergizes sections of the electrical grid. We’ve had several brush fires today due to arcing wires." Kelly said the tenants of both apartments …
Wednesday, September 26, 2012
The fire began at approximately 1:30 a.m. Wednesday.
The Westfield Fire Department responded to a structure fire at a single family dwelling on the 700 block of Westfield Avenue early Wednesday morning. Westfield Fire Chief Dan Kelly said the department received the call at 1:38 a.m. The fire was contained to the finished attic and damaged the exterior and interior siding near the rear of the building. Kelly said all occupants made it outside safely and no injuries were reported. The WFD received mutual aid from the Clark, Scotch Plains and Fanwood Fire Departments. The fire, which Kelly said was "accidental in nature," began in an area where electrical appliances were located. The fire was brought under control within 20 minutes and firefighters remained at the scene until 3:30 a.m., he …
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
John Blake asked, why if the Westfield Fire Department is adequately staffed, did the Town of Westfield apply for the grants?
At the Westfield Town Council meeting held Tuesday, Sept. 11, Westfield resident John Blake raised questions regarding the town's application for four Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) grants. Last week it was announced that the grants, available through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which would have provided for the hiring of up-to four firefighters for two years at no cost to the Westfield taxpayer, did not come through. Blake asked why the grants were not acted on. When no one offered an answer, Mayor Andrew Skibitsky told Blake to continue. Referring to comments made by Westfield Councilman Keith Loughlin, vice chair of the public safety committee, in which he stated that the public safety …
Friday, September 7, 2012
The town has reapplied for the 2012 fiscal year.
Westfield Councilman Keith Loughlin, vice chair of the public safety committee, confirmed that the four Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) grants for which the town had applied were not acted upon. The grants, available through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), would have provided for the hiring of up-to four firefighters for two years at no cost to the Westfield taxpayer. During a March meeting of the Westfield Town Council, Town Administrator Jim Gildea announced that the town sought the grants in an effort to maintain services in the face of declining revenues. Gildea said Westfield had also applied for a grant that could assist in the hiring of up-to two new police officers through the COPS MORE …
Thursday, August 16, 2012
Proceeds from an event planned for this evening will be used to assist the Bilson family of Cranford, whose home was destroyed in a fire on June 24.
Members of local emergency service agencies throughout Union County have always had a reputation for looking out for one another when tragedy strikes. So when a fire destroyed the Cranford home of someone on the Union County Hazmat Team, plans to help the family began to evolve almost immediately. In fact, a few responders and bystanders began discussing the need for some type of fundraiser even as crews worked to extinguish the blaze, which ripped through the North Avenue home of the Billson family on June 24, destroying the structure as well as all of their belongings. Bill Billson is a full-time member of the Union County Hazmat Team, FMBA Local 99, NJ State FMBA, and is a volunteer member of the Garwood and Westfield fire departments …
Saturday, August 11, 2012
The tenant, landlord and two police officers were treated.
Four people were treated at an area hospital Friday morning after being exposed to unidentified chemicals, according to a report by News 12. The tenant and landlord were treated as were two police officers who were among the first responders, the report states. Westfield Fire Chief Daniel Kelly told News 12 that three EMS responders also needed to be decontaminated at the scene. South Avenue between Downer and Cumberland streets was closed for close to four hours while Union County Hazmat crews decontaminated the area. The home was the only one on the block to be evacuated.
Friday, August 10, 2012
The accident occurred shortly after 11 a.m. Friday.
An accident involving a car and a school bus sent one victim to a trauma center Friday morning, according to Westfield Volunteer Rescue Squad President Reid Edles. Edles responded to the scene near 1515 Lamberts Mill Rd. shortly after 11 a.m. in an ambulance with one other member of the squad. The Westfield Fire Department, with crews already working at North Avenue and East Broad and Prospect streets as a result of a gas leak and at South Avenue between Downer and Cumberland streets due to a suicide attempt that required the assistance of Union County Hazard Materials officials, were called to help extricate the victim from the vehicle. Edles confirmed that neither the passenger nor the driver of the school bus was injured.