The Westfield Fire Department was organized in 1875, following a large fire in 1874 that started at Gales Drug Store on East Broad Street and spread to the remainder of the downtown area. Prior to this, fire protection had been an ad hoc affair involving citizens in a bucket brigade. The department's humble origins, which involved a private foundation to fund equipment, has led to a 40 person paid department with a volunteer supplement split between two fire houses.
In 1963, the town opened a second firehouse on the southside of Westfield. Located on Central Avenue next to Sycamore Park, this house contains space for a fire engine, sleeping quarters, a recreation room and the offices of the town's fire prevention officer. The construction of the second firehouse cost $112,119. The building was designed to look like a colonial house in order to fit into the primarily residential neighborhood. The second firehouse was built to provide additional fire protection services to town residents. The main firehouse is located on North Avenue next to the train station.
Tours of the firehouse are available for school and scout groups and the fire department hosts various programs on fire prevention. Daniel Kelly is the Fire Chief of Westfield.
- Fax: 908-789-4137
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 8:30am - 4:30pm; Sat, Sun, closed
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Parking: Free lot, On-street: free
- Public restrooms: No
- Wi-Fi: None
- Number of firefighters: 40
- Number of trucks: 4
- Fire department services: Engine, Ladder, Rescue
- Type: Professional, Volunteer