The Westfield Fire Department was organized in 1875, following a large fire in 1874 that started at Gales Drug Store on East Broad Street and spread to the remainder of the downtown area. Prior to this, fire protection had been an ad hoc affair involving citizens in a bucket brigade. The department's humble origins, which involved a private foundation to fund equipment, has led to a 40-person paid department with a volunteer supplement split between two fire houses.
The Fire Department headquarters next to the train station on North Avenue was dedicated in 1911, replacing a previous building, which had stood on the site since 1887. The building contains berths for three fire engines, along with dorm and kitchen facilities for firefighters and administrative offices. The building was renovated in 1973 to provide more space and to bring the building up to the fire code. The 1911 building cost $23,000 to construct and the 1887 purchase of the land cost the town $450.
In 1963, the town opened a second firehouse on the southside of Westfield. Located on Central Avenue next to Sycamore Park, this house contains space for a fire engine, sleeping quarters, a recreation room and the offices of the town's fire prevention officer. The construction of the second firehouse cost $112,119.
Tours of the firehouse are available for school and scout groups, and the fire department hosts various programs on fire prevention. Daniel Kelly is the Fire Chief of Westfield.
- Fax: 908-789-4136
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 8:30am - 4:30pm; Sat, Sun, closed
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Parking: On-street: metered, Paid lot
- Public restrooms: No
- Wi-Fi: Free
- Number of firefighters: 40
- Number of trucks: 4
- Fire department services: Engine, Ladder, Rescue
- Type: Professional, Volunteer