Thomas Alva Edison Intermediate School, located on Rahway Avenue, is the south side's intermediate school. The school features a variety of innovative curriculum programs, including an increased use of technology in the classroom. Edison School continues to promote fine arts and community service.
During the 2007—2008 school year, the student council raised the third-highest amount of money in the state for the New Jersey Association of Student Councils' annual fundraiser. The peer leadership program has been recognized as a model for the state, with Edison peer leaders presenting at statewide conferences on peer leadership. Recognition programs include the honor roll, the Edison Attitude Award and the Edison Sparks Award.
The extracurricular activities include the student newspaper which has been rated as Outstanding by the Columbia Press Association. The principal of Edison Intermediate School is Cheryl O'Brien and Douglas Layman is the Assistant Principal.
- Fax: 908-789-1506
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 8am - 4pm; Sat, Sun, closed
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Number of students: 766
- Public/Private: Public
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 1:11.6
- Parking: Free lot, On-street: free
- Grade levels: 6 - 8
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities
- Extracurricular activities available: Dance Club; Debate/Model United Nations; Drama Club; EIS Running Club; Edison Memories and Fall Drama
- Student clubs: Art Club; Backyard Birding Club; Breakfast, Books, and the Beatles; Broadway Singers; Chamber Music Club; Charity Water; Chess Club; Continental Math League-6th Grade