Plans for expanded parking at both and are underway. These plans were outlined in a public outreach meeting on April 18, in which recommendations were made by a town-appointed traffic engineer and with subsequent approval by both the Board of Education and the Town Council. The proposal was developed to alleviate traffic and on-street parking issues and to promote safety around both schools.
The estimated schedule for completion of the projects is as follows, weather permitting:
Week of July 9 –
· Remove current fence at Edison Intermediate School where the expanding parking area will be located;
· Complete trimming trees along fence line at Edison to permit installation of new fence;
· Remove some trees along curb line at Westfield High School on Rahway Avenue where expanded parking area will be located;
Week of July 16 –
· Parking lot expansion / paving will begin at both Westfield High School and both sides of Edison Intermediate School. This is expected to take 2 – 3 weeks.
· Install new fencing at Edison.
The schedule for landscaping at Edison and the High School will be determined by the parking lot completion dates at both locations.
“The changes we are making are in response to the public input we have received and to the professional advice of a traffic and safety consultant,” explained Richard Mattessich, Board of Education President. “The Board and Town are working to minimize any disruption to the areas surrounding the schools and have scheduled the projects to take place prior to the start of the new school year.”
The complete parking plan is posted at www.westfieldnjk12.org under “Important Messages.”