Looking for a pumpkin patch, a Halloween hayride or a farm to pick your own? Before you firm up your weekend plans, take a look at our guide to all things Fall and enjoy the season!
- Kean University in Union is hosting a Pumpkin Patch day on Oct. 22. The event is filled with pumpkin picking, carving and decorating, Halloween crafts, hayrides, house tours and more. Tickets are $10 for adults, $10 for Senior Citizens and college students, $6 for children and children under 3 are free. There is an additional charge for pumpkins. Lunch is available from vendors.
Wondering Where to Get a Pumpkin?
Hurricane Irene ruined much of the local pumpkin crop but these local farms and nurseries shipped pumpkins in to meet the October demand.
- offers kids a hayride for $5 through a spooky graveyard to a pumpkin patch where they can pick their own pumpkins that range in price depending on size. The nursery also offers a hay maze and a game called Perturbed Birds that is a real-life version of Angry Birds, where kids get to use sling shots to propel stuffed birds into barrels for points. For $1, you get three shots. For $2, you get seven shots. The nursery is also hosting a scarecrow contest, which is judged throughout October, and a costume and pumpkin-carving contest on Oct. 29.
- in Cranford. Read a story
- in Clark sells pumpkins from 79 cents to $150 depending on size.
- in Clark
Upcoming Fall Events
- The Great Pumpkin Carve-Out is scheduled for Oct. 29 in Cranford. Pumpkins must be dropped off from 10 to 3 p.m. at in Cranford. Awards will be giving for the funniest, scariest and most original pumpkin for the ages of 4-8, 9-12, 13-17 and 18-adult. The pumpkins will be on display from 6-9 p.m. The event is free and open to the public. The pumpkin walk will be followed by a movie in the park. The Bride of Frankenstein begins at 7 p.m. about how much fun the event will be!
- The will be Nov. 1 with a rain date of Nov. 2 at Echo Lake Park in Mountainside. Jack-O-lanterns will illuminate the lake and there are three sail times to pick from: 5:15 to 6:30 p.m., 6:45 to 8 p.m. or 8:15 to 9:30 p.m. Tickets cost $8 for a family of four in Union County or $16 for a family of four outside of Union County.
- Redeemer Lutheran Church in Westfield will be holding its annual Shepherd’s Hook Craft and Gift Fair from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 5, and this year the fair will have an added attraction of a Cranberry Fest!
Willing to make a drive for some Fall fun?
- Wightman's Farms in Morristown offers pumpkins, pick-your-own apples, a corn maze, a hay maze, a nautical rope maze, hayrides and homemade apple cider donuts. Route 202, 1111 Mt. Kemble Ave., Morristown, NJ. Phone: (973) 425-9819; Hotline: (973) 425-0840. Email: email@example.com.
- Giamarese Farms in New Brunswick is hosting from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. The events include hayrides, pony rides, a corn maze and farm animals.
- For more information on farms and PYO in other counties visit http://www.pickyourown.org/NJ.htm