The start of the ushered in the July 4th holiday as a warm Tuesday evening was made even hotter by the talents of four jazz bands.
Kicking off the series, which will continue every Tuesday evening throughout July and August, were the Don Braden/Karl Latham Big Funk, the Bill Wurtzel Trio with Ed Finkel & Jay Leonhart, the Richard Reiter Swing Band, and Stringbean and the Stalkers.
Music lovers young and old turned out to hear the artists whose styles ranged from classic to blues and even big band.
Performances can be heard outside in downtown Westfield at various locations - on Central Avenue in front of , the lawn in front of the North Avenue Train Station, the plaza at the corner of East Broad and North Avenue, and Elm Street in front of the from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday evenings serve as the raindate.
Upcoming performers include:
Tuesday, July 10:
- David Aaron Quintet - Central Ave.
- Chris Colaneri Quintet - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- Gordon James - Elm Street
- Roxy Perry - North Ave.
Tuesday, July 17:
- Mike Kaplan Nonet - Central Ave.
- Glenn Alexander Group with Orio Apsen - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- Marlene VerPlanck - Elm St.
- Chuck Lambert Band - North Ave.
Tuesday, July 24:
- Pam Purvis and the Blue Skies Band - Central Ave.
- Eric Mintel Quartet - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- Bradford Hayes - Elm St.
- Watson - North Ave.
Tuesday, July 31:
- B. D. Lenz - Central Ave.
- Anthony Nelson - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- Christine Spero Group - Elm St.
- Scarlett Lee Moore - North Ave.
Tuesday, August 7:
- Radam Schwartz - Central Ave.
- Groove Apparatus - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- Patty Cronheim Ensemble - Elm St.
- The Joe Taino Group - North Ave.
Tuesday, August 14:
- Jazz Lobsters - Central Ave.
- Too Blue Lou and the Groove - E. Broad St. & Central Ave.
- Dave Leonhardt Trio - Elm St.
- VooDUDES - North Ave.
Tuesday, August 21:
- Lauren Shub and the Trio - Central Ave.
- Pat Cuttitta - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- La Balteuband - Elm St.
- Greg Murphy - North Ave.
Tuesday, August 28:
- Mauricio de Soussa and Bossa Brasil - Central Ave.
- Jerry Topinka - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- Carrie Jackson - Elm St.
- Hammers - North Ave.
The series is sponsored by the .