The 16th Annual Sweet Sounds Downtown Jazz Festival 2012 will once again fill Westfield's downtown with music beginning July 3 and running through August 28.
Sponsored by the Downtown Westfield Corporation, four jazz groups will perform each Tuesday evening from 7 until 9 p.m. during July and August. Wednesdays serve as the raindates.
Performances each night can be heard outside in downtown Westfield at various locations - on Central Avenue in front of Banana Republic, the lawn in front of the North Avenue Train Station, the plaza at the corner of East Broad and North Avenue, and Elm Street in front of the Baptist Church.
"It is a great feeling to the turn the corner from North Avenue to Elm Street and see the bustling of our vibrant downtown," said Councilman James Foerst. "Sweet Sounds Downtown is a great addition to our already thriving business district. On jazz night it feels like everyone is downtown - everywhere you turn you see people that you know. There are some nights where I feel like I am at a reunion of sorts bumping into old friends and admiring how everyone’s children have grown. It is a special time of year and a wonderful part of the Westfield experience."
Kicking off the series will be the Don Braden/Karl Latham Big Funk on Central Ave. Bill Wurtzel Trio with Ed Finkel & Jay Leonhart, Richard Reiter Swing Band, and Stringbean and the Stalkers.
Tuesday, July 10:
- David Aaron Quintet - Central Ave.
- Chris Colaneri Quintet - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- Gordon James - Elm Street
- Roxy Perry - North Ave.
- Mike Kaplan Nonet - Central Ave.
- Glenn Alexander Group with Orio Apsen - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- Marlene VerPlanck - Elm St.
- Chuck Lambert Band - North Ave.
Tuesday, July 24:
- Pam Purvis and the Blue Skies Band - Central Ave.
- Eric Mintel Quartet - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- Bradford Hayes - Elm St.
- Watson - North Ave.
Tuesday, July 31:
- B. D. Lenz - Central Ave.
- Anthony Nelson - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- Christine Spero Group - Elm St.
- Scarlett Lee Moore - North Ave.
Tuesday, August 7:
- Radam Schwartz - Central Ave.
- Groove Apparatus - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- Patty Cronheim Ensemble - Elm St.
- The Joe Taino Group - North Ave.
Tuesday, August 14:
- Jazz Lobsters - Central Ave.
- Too Blue Lou and the Groove - E. Broad St. & Central Ave.
- Dave Leonhardt Trio - Elm St.
- VooDUDES - North Ave.
Tuesday, August 21:
- Lauren Shub and the Trio - Central Ave.
- Pat Cuttitta - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- La Balteuband - Elm St.
- Greg Murphy - North Ave.
Tuesday, August 28:
- Mauricio de Soussa and Bossa Brasil - Central Ave.
- Jerry Topinka - E. Broad St. & North Ave.
- Carrie Jackson - Elm St.
- Hammers - North Ave.
“Sweet Sounds Downtown is extremely popular for all ages. From contemporary or traditional jazz to blues to big band, there are live performances to please everyone,” said Sherry Cronin, DWC executive director. “The event is great for businesses downtown on Tuesday night.”
According to Beth Brenner, assistant executive director, “We have a mix of great bands which played in past festivals as well as new bands this year. Sweet Sounds has become so popular that we have to turn away many talented groups.”
While taking in the musical performances of “Sweet Sounds Downtown,” enjoy dining at one of Westfield’s restaurants or shop and stroll through downtown.
For more information about Westfield and other downtown events taking place, call the DWC at 908-789-9444 for free a Destination Westfield brochure including a shopping, dining and service directory as well as an events calendar.